Sanft, wie du lebtest, hast du vollendet, zu heilig für den Schmerz! Kein Auge wein' ob des himmlischen Geistes Heimkehr.
This text comes from lines 2-1, 3-4, and 3-5 of a poem by Haug referring to the death of the poet Johann Georg Jacobi.
- sometimes misattributed to Ignaz Franz Castelli (1781 - 1862)
- a text in German (Deutsch) by (Johann Christoph) Friedrich Haug (1761 - 1829), "Bey der Kunde von Jacobi's Tod", first published 1814
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827), "Elegischer Gesang", op. 118 [ vocal quartet and string quartet (or chorus and string orchestra) ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Elegisch gezang", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Ahmed E. Ismail) , copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Chant élégiaque", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Canto elegiaco", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ahmed E. Ismail
This text was added to the website: 2005-04-18
Line count: 5
Word count: 20