Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Ich hab' mir ein Märchen erdacht Aus einem einzigen Blick Und eine einzige Nacht Verwehte all mein Glück . . . [Ich träumte den seligsten]1 Traum Von Liebe, die nimmer vergeht . . . Ein Hauch -- ich fühlte ihn kaum -- Da war er schon verweht.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Dämmerung. Gedichte von Maidy Koch, Dresden und Leipzig: E. Pierson's Verlag, 1900, page 12.1 Hoppe: "Mir träumte der seligste"
- by Maidy Koch (1875 - 1966), no title, appears in Dämmerung [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Paul Hoppe (1869 - 1933), "Ich hab' mir ein Märchen erdacht", op. 60 (Vier Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 3, published 1897 [ voice and piano ], Leipzig: Luckhardt's Musik-Verlag [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "I thought up a fairy-tale for myself", copyright © 2022, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2022-10-14
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
I thought up a fairy-tale for myself From a single glance And a single night Destroyed all my happiness . . . I dreamt the most blissful dream Of love, that never dies . . . A breath -- I hardly felt it -- And the dream was already dispelled.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2022 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Maidy Koch (1875 - 1966), no title, appears in Dämmerung
This text was added to the website: 2022-10-16
Line count: 8
Word count: 48