Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nad krajem vévodí lehký spánek Jasná se rozpjala májová noc; Nesmělý krade se do listí vánek, S nebes se schýlila míru moc. Zadřímlo kvítí, poto-kem šumá Tišeji nápěvů tajemných sbor. Příroda v rozkoši blaženě dumá, Neklidných živlů všad utichl vzpor. Hvězdy se sešly co naděje světla, Země se mění na nebeský kruh. Mým srdcem, v němž-to kdys blaženost kvetla, Mým srdcem táhne jen bolesti ruch!
- by Gustav Pfleger-Moravský (1833 - 1875) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Antonín Dvořák (1841 - 1904), "Nad krajem vévodí lehký spánek", B. 11 no. 17 (1865) [voice and piano], from Cypřiše (Cypresses), no. 17. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Antonín Dvořák (1841 - 1904), "Nad krajem vévodí lehký spánek", op. 83 no. 5, from Písně milostné, no. 5. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Djordje Nesic) (Hannah Sharene Penn) , "Over the landscape ruled by care-free dreams", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 65
Over the landscape ruled by care-free dreams, Clear May night is outstretched. Gently a breeze steals through the leaves, From the skies, calmness descends. Flowers slumber, and through the woods, Like a secretive choir, the brook sings. Opulent nature muses blissfully, Nothing remains that would bring conflict. Stars are assembled to bring the light, The earth is melding into the heaven's orb. But in my heart, where once blessedness blossomed, Now only illness remains.
- Translation from Czech (Čeština) to English copyright © 2006 by Djordje Nesic and Hannah Sharene Penn, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2007-03-07
Line count: 12
Word count: 74