Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Was soll ich denn ansehen Und deiner nicht gedenken? Ja, Ort und Stunde weiß ich nicht, Die leis nicht deinen Namen spricht. Bei schöner Morgenfrühe, Wie muss ich dein gedenken! Ob Tag, ob Abend glühe, Doch muss ich dein gedenken! Und fährt die Nacht her, ruhevoll, Weiß nicht, was ich sonst denken soll.
- by Will Vesper (1882 - 1962) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Paul Hermann Franz Graener (1872 - 1944), "Deingedenken", op. 102 (Fünf Lieder) no. 1, published 1936 [ voice and piano ] [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Francis George Scott (1880 - 1958), "Deingedenken", 1935, published 1949 [ voice and piano ], from 35 Scottish Lyrics and other Poems, no. 32, Bayley & Ferguson for The Saltire Society, Glasgow, page 124 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Iain Sneddon) , "Your memory", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Iain Sneddon [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2019-06-18 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-06-18 22:12:24
Line count: 10
Word count: 53
What can I gaze at And not remember you? Yes, I do not know the place and time, The quiet does not speak your name. In the beautiful dawn, How must I remember you. Whether it’s day or the glow of evening, But I have to remember you! And here the night passes, peacefully, I do not know what else to think about.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2019 by Iain Sneddon, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2019-06-17 00:00:00
Last modified: 2019-06-17 14:01:08
Line count: 10
Word count: 63