Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Als ich ein junger Geselle war, lustig und guter Dinge, da hielten die Maler offenbar mein Gesicht für viel zu geringe; dafür war mir manch schönes Kind dazumal von Herzen treu gesinnt. Nun ich hier als Altmeister sitz', rufen sie mich aus auf Straßen und Gaßen, zu haben bin ich, wie der alte Fritz, auf Pfeifenköpfen und Tassen. Doch die schönen Kinder die bleiben fern. O Traum der Jugend! O goldner Stern!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Friedrich Christoph Förster (1791 - 1868) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Carl Loewe (1796 - 1869), "Der alte Goethe", op. 9, Heft 9 no. 2 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Wendelin Weißheimer (1838 - 1910), "Lauf der Welt" [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (David Wyatt) , "Old Goethe", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Il vecchio Goethe", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 72
When I was a young companion, A jolly and good thing, Then artists obviously held My face of no great value. But then, I had many pretty girls Around, all with true hearts. Now I sit here as an old master They call out to me in the streets and lanes, I am to be painted, like old Fritz, With pipes and cups. But the pretty girls, they stay away... O dream of youth! O golden stars!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2007 by David Wyatt, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2007-11-15
Line count: 12
Word count: 77