Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Du kamst, Du gingst mit leiser Spur, ein flücht'ger Gast im Erdenland; woher? Wohin? Wir wissen nur: Aus Gottes Hand in Gottes Hand.
- by Johann Ludwig Uhland (1787 - 1862), "Auf den Tod eines Kindes" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Georg Alexander, Herzog zu Mecklenburg (1859 - 1909), "Auf den Tod eines Kindes", op. 2 (Drei Lieder für Bass-Stimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 3, published 1879 [bass and piano], Hamburg, Rahter [text not verified]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Auf den Tod eines Kindes", op. 3 no. 6 (1907) [voice and piano], from Sechs Lieder von Uhland, no. 6. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English [singable] (Bertram Kottmann) , title 1: "On the death of a child", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Sur la mort d'un enfant", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2004-05-25
Line count: 4
Word count: 23
You softly came and such didst go, a fleeting guest on earthly land; Where from? Where to? We only know: Out of God's hand into God's hand.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2007 by Bertram Kottmann, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Bertram Kottmann.  Contact: BKottmann (AT) t-online.deIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Ludwig Uhland (1787 - 1862), "Auf den Tod eines Kindes"
This text was added to the website: 2007-12-03
Line count: 4
Word count: 27