Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Tödtlich graute mir der Morgen: Doch schon lag mein Haupt, wie süß! Hoffnung, dir im Schoß verborgen, bis der Sieg gewonnen hieß, bis der Sieg gewonnen hieß. Opfer bracht' ich allen Göttern, Doch vergessen warest du; Seitwärts von den ew'gen Rettern Sahest du dem Feste zu. O, vergieb, du Vielgetreue! Tritt aus deinem Dämmerlicht, Daß ich dir in's ewig neue, Mondenhelle Angesicht Einmal schaue, recht von Herzen, Wie ein Kind und sonder Harm; Ach, nur Einmal ohne Schmerzen schließe mich in deinen Arm!
- by Eduard Mörike (1804 - 1875) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Otto Klemperer (1885 - 1973), "Der Genesene an die Hoffnung" [ sung text not yet checked against a primary source]
- by Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903), "Der Genesene an die Hoffnung", from Mörike-Lieder, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "El convalescent a l’esperança", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Iain Sneddon) , "The Convalescent addresses Hope", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Le convalescent à l'espoir", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Stéphane Goldet) (Pierre de Rosamel) , "Le convalescent à l'Espérance", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Il malato risanato alla speranza", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 17
Word count: 83
Death-like the morning dawns: But already my head lay, so sweetly Hope, hidden in your lap, until the victory was won, until the victory was won. Sacrifices I brought to all the gods, But forgot to look after you; Standing aside from the eternal saviours Watching the celebrations. O, forgive me, you ever-faithful! Venture from your twilight, So that I, at your eternally renewed Moon-bright face, Once more may gaze, with all my heart, Like a child, and without grief; Oh, just once more without pain wrap me in your embrace!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Iain Sneddon, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2008-08-23
Line count: 17
Word count: 91