Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
A child should always say what's true And speak when he is spoken to, And behave mannerly at table: At least as far as he is able.
- by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894), "Whole duty of children", appears in A Child's Garden of Verses, first published 1885 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by (Robert) Houston Bright (1916 - 1970), "Whole duty of children", published 1967 [SATB chorus a cappella], from From "A Child's Garden of Verses" [text not verified]
- by Edward Falk , "Whole duty of children", published <<1940 [voice and piano], from A Child's Garden of Verses [text not verified]
- by Malcolm Benjamin Graham Christopher Williamson (b. 1931), "Whole duty of children", published 1968 [high voice and piano], from From a child's garden, no. 5. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "I doveri di ogni bambino", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 27
Un bimbo deve sempre dire la verità Aprire bocca solo se interpellato, stare composto a tavola e ben educato; almeno fino a quando ce la fa.
- Translation from English to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894), "Whole duty of children", appears in A Child's Garden of Verses, first published 1885
This text was added to the website: 2008-10-23
Line count: 4
Word count: 26