Thank you for visiting!
If you haven't already, please consider donating.
Visitor donations keep us online and growing!
Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Es flüstern und rauschen die Wogen Wohl über ihr stilles Haus. Es ruft eine Stimme: "Gedenke mein! Bei stiller Nacht im Vollmondschein! Gedenke mein!" Und flüsternd ziehen die Wogen Wohl über ihr stilles Haus. "Gedenke mein!"
About the headline (FAQ)
- by (Auguste) Wilhelmine Lorenz (1784 - 1861) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Gustav Hasse (1834 - 1889), "Lorelei", op. 25 (Sechs Gesänge für 1 Singstimme mit Pianoforte) no. 5, published 1877 [ voice and piano ], Berlin, Bote & Bock [sung text not yet checked]
- by Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856), "Loreley", op. 53 (Romanzen und Balladen für Singstimme und Klavier (Heft 3)) no. 2 (1840), published 1845 [ voice and piano ], Leipzig, Whistling [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2021, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Lorelei", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Lorelei", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , "Lorelei", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Loreley", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 36
Mormorano e sussurrano le onde Proprio sopra la sua casa muta. Risuona una voce: "Non mi dimenticare! Nel silenzio notturno al chiarore lunare! Non mi dimenticare!" Mormorando le onde corrono Proprio sopra la sua casa muta. "Non mi dimenticare".
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by (Auguste) Wilhelmine Lorenz (1784 - 1861)
This text was added to the website: 2008-11-29
Line count: 8
Word count: 39