Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wenn du gute Augen hast, Und du schaust in meine Lieder, Siehst du eine junge Schöne Drinnen wandeln auf und nieder. Wenn du gute Ohren hast, Kannst du gar die Stimme hören, Und ihr Seufzen, Lachen, Singen Wird dein armes Herz betören. Denn sie wird, mit Blick und Wort, Wie mich selber dich verwirren; Ein verliebter Frühlingsträumer, Wirst du durch die Wälder irren.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856), no title, appears in Neue Gedichte, in Neuer Frühling, no. 16 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Ehrenstein (? - 1870), "Wenn du gute Augen hast", op. 14 (Lieb' und Leben : Neue Lieder, Heft 3: Enttäuschung) no. 2. [text not verified]
- by Georg Andreas Henkel (1805 - 1871), "Wenn du gute Augen hast", op. 22 (Sechs Lieder) no. 3. [voice and piano] [text not verified]
- by Willem de Iongh (1857 - 1931), "Wenn du gute Augen hast", published 1924. [text not verified]
- by Karl Ritter , "Wenn du gute Augen hast", op. 4 (Zwölf Lieder) no. 6. [text not verified]
- by Oscar Nathan Straus (1870 - 1954), "Wenn du gute Augen hast", op. 10. [text not verified]
- by Mario Van Overeem , "Wenn du gute Augen hast", from Neuer Frühling: 44 Lieder, no. 16. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Linda Godry) , title 1: "If you have good eyes to see", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Si tu as de bons yeux", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2008-02-27
Line count: 12
Word count: 63
If you have good eyes to see, And have a close look at my songs, You will see a young beauty Strolling along at will inside. If you have good ears to listen, You can even hear the voice, And her sighs, her laughs, her singing will beguile your poor heart. Because she will, by gaze and word, Just like me confuse you; A dreamer drunk from spring and love, You will roam the woods.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2008 by Linda Godry, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856), no title, appears in Neue Gedichte, in Neuer Frühling, no. 16
This text was added to the website: 2008-12-30
Line count: 12
Word count: 75