Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Brennessel steht am Wegesrand, Neider und Feinde hab' ich in Stadt und Land. Neidet, haßt, verleumdet, doch das bringt mir keine Not, Wenn mir nur mein süßes Liebchen treu bleibt bis zum Tod.
- by Hugo Conrat (1845 - 1906) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Brennessel steht am Wegesrand", op. 112 (Sechs Quartette für S., A., T. und B. mit Pianoforte) no. 5 (1891), published 1892 [SATB quartet and piano], from the collection Vier Zigeunerlieder, no. 3, Leipzig, Peters [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , title 1: "Stinging nettles stand at the side of the road", copyright ©
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Milla Valkeasuo) , title 1: "Polttavat nokkoset kasvavat tien reunassa", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Les orties se dressent au bord du chemin", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Sta l'ortica al bordo della strada", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2015-12-17 12:08:17
Line count: 6
Word count: 33
Sta l'ortica al bordo della strada, Invidiosi e nemici mi assediano in città e in campagna. Ma invidia, odio, calunnie, non mi danno pena, se la mia amata mi resta fedele fino alla morte.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2008 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
Text added to the website: 2008-12-30 00:00:00
Last modified: 2015-12-17 12:08:52
Line count: 6
Word count: 34