Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
O ruddy Lover! O brave red Clover! Didst think to win her Thou dost adore? She will not love thee, She looks above thee, The Daisy's gold doth move her more. If gold can win her, So leave the Sinner, And sigh no more!
- by Margaret Wade Campbell Deland (1857 - 1945), "The clover" [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Amy Marcy Cheney Beach (1867 - 1944), "The clover", op. 31 (Three Flower Songs) no. 1. [text verified 1 time]
- by Edward Alexander MacDowell (1860 - 1908), "The clover", op. 26 (From an old garden (six songs)) no. 3, published c1899. [voice and piano] [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lidy van Noordenburg) , title 1: "De klaver", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Linda Godry) , title 1: "Der Rotklee", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Lidy van Noordenburg
This text was added to the website: 2008-03-17
Line count: 7
Word count: 44
Oh rotgesichtiger Freier! Oh aufrechter Rotklee! Hast du wirklich geglaubt sie zu gewinnen, die du verehrst? Sie wird dir nie gehören; ihr Sinn steht nach Höherem, Das Gold des Gänseblümchens liegt ihr mehr am Herzen. Wenn Gold sie gewinnen kann, vergiß die Falsche, und weine ihr nicht nach!
- Translation from English to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2009 by Linda Godry, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2009-01-17
Line count: 7
Word count: 48