Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
What's his heart Sweetheart, Sweetheart! What's his heart? Very often I've been told Of his yellow shining gold But the gold's the smallest part Of love, Sweetheart, Sweetheart! Of a happy love, Sweetheart! Is it true, my dear, is it true That his heart's a rusty brown? Nay my sweetheart do not frown, Better know it's brown and sere, Now than when too late, My dear, my dear When too late, My dear!
- by Margaret Wade Campbell Deland (1857 - 1945), "The yellow daisy" [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Amy Marcy Cheney Beach (1867 - 1944), "The yellow daisy", op. 31 (Three Flower Songs) no. 2. [text verified 1 time]
- by Edward Alexander MacDowell (1860 - 1908), "The yellow daisy", op. 26 (From an old garden (six songs)) no. 4, published c1899. [voice and piano] [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) (Lidy van Noordenburg) , title 1: "De gele margriet", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Linda Godry) , title 1: "Der Sonnenhut", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Lidy van Noordenburg
This text was added to the website: 2008-03-17
Line count: 13
Word count: 73
Was wiegt sein Herz, Liebste, Liebste! Was wiegt sein Herz? Man hat mir oft erzählt Von seinem glänzenden Gold Aber das Gold ist nur wenig wert In der Liebe, Liebste, Liebste! Ist es wahr, meine Liebe, ist es wahr Das sein Herz eher rostig braun ist? Nein meine Liebste wende dich nicht ab, schau hin, es ist braun und vertrocknet, schau besser jetzt als später, meine Liebste, meine Liebste wenn es zu spät ist, meine Liebste!
- Translation from English to German (Deutsch) copyright © 2009 by Linda Godry, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in English by Margaret Wade Campbell Deland (1857 - 1945), "The yellow daisy"
This text was added to the website: 2009-01-17
Line count: 12
Word count: 76