Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nun, ihr Musen, genug! Vergebens strebt ihr zu schildern, Wie sich Jammer und Glück wechseln in liebender Brust. Heilen könnet die Wunden ihr nicht, die Amor geschlagen; Aber Linderung kommt einzig, ihr Guten, von euch.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Alexis und Dora, excerpt: last four lines [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Zum Schluß", op. 65 no. 15 (1875), published 1875 [ vocal quartet and piano four-hands or instrumental ensemble ], from Neue Liebeslieder, no. 15, Berlin, Simrock [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Johann Friedrich Reichardt (1752 - 1814), "Aus Alexis und Dora", published 1809 [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- AFR Afrikaans [singable] (Robert Schall) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , copyright ©
- ENG English [singable] (Robert Schall) , copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Erkki Pullinen) , copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Alvaro De la Cruz) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 35
Bueno, Musas, ¡suficiente! En vano tratan de describir Cómo la miseria y la felicidad alternan en un seno amoroso. No pueden sanar las heridas que Amor ha causado, Asi, el unico alivio proviene solamente de ustedes, las gentiles.
About the headline (FAQ)Translator's note: Amor refers to an object or person, which is why it has a capital letter; "Amor" means "love" in Spanish.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Spanish (Español) copyright © 2009 by Alvaro De la Cruz, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in Alexis und Dora, excerpt: last four lines
This text was added to the website: 2009-04-03
Line count: 4
Word count: 38