Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
An dem österlichen Tag Maria Magdalena ging zu dem Grab; was fand sie in dem Grabe stehn? Einen Engel wohlgetan. Der Engel grüsst sie in der Zeit: "Den da suchet das vielselige Weib, er ist erstanden von dem Tod, den du salben wolltest". "Maria!" ruft er ihr zu hant, da erkennt sie ihren Heiland, sie sah in aller der Gebärde, sann er ein Wärter wäre.
- from Volkslieder (Folksongs) , appears in Des Knaben Wunderhorn [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Magdalena", op. 22 no. 6 (1859), published 1862 [mixed chorus], from Marienlieder, no. 6, Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Giovanni Duci) , title 1: "Maddalena", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Linda Godry) , title 1: "Magdalene", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Madeleine", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Magdalena", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 65
On easter day Mary Magdalene visited the grave; What did she find there by the side? A beautiful angel. The angel addressed her: The one you seek, blessed woman, to annoint him with spices, he was resurrected from death. As he calls her by her name "Mary!", she recognises him for her saviour, and now by his gestures too she knows he is not a guardian.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2009 by Linda Godry, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) from Volkslieder (Folksongs) , appears in Des Knaben Wunderhorn
This text was added to the website: 2009-07-26
Line count: 12
Word count: 66