Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Улетал соловушко далёко, во чужую тёплую сторонку. Улетал соловушко далёко, во чужую тёплую сторонку. Вы прощайте, люди добрые, на долго, улететь пора моя настала! На долго прощаюсь с вами, люди! Улететь пора моя настала! И спасибо вам за вашу любовь, за ласку, что меня, соловушку, не гнали, песни петь мне, соловью, не мешали, малых деток моих не забижали! И остался б я теперь с вами, да лиха беда ваши морозы; не люблю зимы вашей белой, не люблю я буйного ветра! А уж как весна красна вернётся, с ней и я вернусь к вам с новой песней, я вернусь к вам с новой песней!
- by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840 - 1893) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840 - 1893), "Соловушко", 1889. [SATB chorus] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Erin Franklin) , "The little nightingale", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Le petit rossignol", copyright © 2016, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 19
Word count: 103
The little nightingale flew far away, Into a warm foreign little country, The little nightingale flew far away, Into a warm foreign little country. Farewell, kind people, for a long while, My time begins to fly away! People, for a long time I will be parted from you! My time begins to fly away! And thank you for your love, for the affection, That didn't drive me, a little nightingale, away, That didn't hinder me, the nightingale, in singing songs, That didn't run ahead of my small little children! I would even now remain with you, But for the misfortunate evil of your frosts; I do not love your white winter, I do not love the wild wind! But even as the beautiful spring returns, With her, I also return to you with a new song, I will return to you with a new song!
- Translation from Russian (Русский) to English copyright © 2009 by Erin Franklin, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2009-08-10
Line count: 19
Word count: 145