Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Hast du doch Flügel eben Und das gewalt'ge Wort; Halt' hoch dich über dem Leben, Sonst geht's über dich fort.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Spruch III", appears in Gedichte, in 2. Sängerleben [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wolfgang Fortner (1907 - 1987), "Hast du doch Flügel eben
" [soprano and mixed chorus], from Sprüche von Joseph von Eichendorff, no. 6. [text verified 1 time]
- by Hans Erich Pfitzner (1869 - 1949), "Spruch 3 aus "Sängerleben"", op. 28, Heft 3 no. 5 [soprano], from Von deutscher Seele - Teil III - Der Liederteil, no. 5. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Meditazione 3 da "Vita di poeta"", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Linda Godry
This text was added to the website: 2008-06-04
Line count: 4
Word count: 20
Fin quando ancora possiederai ali e il potere del verso ti sarà dato, sollevati al di sopra della vita, o ne rimarrai schiacciato.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2009 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Spruch III", appears in Gedichte, in 2. Sängerleben
This text was added to the website: 2009-09-01
Line count: 4
Word count: 23