Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
S'il est vrai, Chloris, que tu m'aimes, Mais j'entends, que tu m'aimes bien, Je ne crois point que les rois mêmes Aient un bonheur pareil au mien. Que la mort serait importune De venir changer ma fortune A la félicité des cieux! Tout ce qu'on dit de l'ambroisie Ne touche point ma fantaisie Au prix des grâces de tes yeux.
- by Théophile de Viau (1590 - 1626) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Reynaldo Hahn (1874 - 1947), "À Chloris", published 1916 [ medium voice and piano ], from Mélodies - 2ème volume, no. 14, Paris, Éd. Heugel [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "To Chloris", copyright © 2013
- ENG English [singable] (Peter Low) , "A Chloris", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Elaine Marie Ortiz-Arandes) , "An Chloris", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Elisa Rapado) , "A Chloris", copyright © 2007, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (José Miguel Llata) , "A Chloris", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ted Perry
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 10
Word count: 60
Se davvero, Clori, mi vuoi bene, ed io credo che proprio così sia, penso proprio che neppure un sovrano possa avere una gioia pari alla mia. E la morte sarebbe importuna se cambiasse questa mia fortuna con le gioie del paradiso! E l'ambrosia con la sua dolcezza non riuscirebbe a darmi l'ebbrezza della grazia del tuo sorriso.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from French (Français) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2009 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2009-12-15
Line count: 10
Word count: 57