Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Komm, und senke die umflorten Schwingen, Süßer Schlummer, auf den müden Blick! Segner! Freund! in deinen Armen dringen Trost und Balsam auf's verlorne Glück.
- possibly by Johann Peter Uz (1720 - 1796) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "An den Schlaf", D 447 (1816), published 1895 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "A la son", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Tot de slaap", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "To sleep", copyright ©
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Au sommeil", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Al sonno", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 24
Viens, et baisse le voile de tes ailes Doux sommeil, sur mes yeux fatigués ! Sauveur ! Ami ! dans tes bras arrivent Le réconfort et le baume pour mon bonheur perdu.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2010 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2010-01-31
Line count: 4
Word count: 32