Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wie lieblich und fröhlich, Zu schweben, zu singen, [Von]1 glänzender Höhe Zur Erde zu blicken! Die Menschen sind thöricht, Sie können nicht [zwitschern]2. Sie jammern in Nöthen, Wir flattern gen Himmel. Der Jäger will tödten, Dem Früchte wir pickten; Wir müssen ihn höhnen, Und Beute gewinnen.
Confirmed with Musen-Almanach für das Jahr 1802. Herausgegeben von A. W. Schlegel und L. Tieck. Tübingen, in der Cotta'schen Buchhandlung, 1802, page 135; and with Friedrich Schlegel's sämmtliche Werke. Erster Band. Gedichte. Berlin, bei Julius Eduard Hitzig, 1809, page 14.1 Schubert: "In"
2 Schlegel (1809 and later editions), and Schubert: "fliegen"
- by Friedrich von Schlegel (1772 - 1829), "Die Vögel", appears in Abendröte, in Erster Teil, no. 3, first published 1802 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Franz Peter Schubert (1797 - 1828), "Die Vögel", op. posth. 172 (Sechs Lieder) no. 6, D 691 (1820?), published 1865 [ voice and piano ], C. A. Spina, VN 16784, Wien [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Els ocells", copyright © 2018, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "De vogels", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (David Gordon) , "Birds", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Les oiseaux", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Uccelli", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: David Gordon , Peter Rastl [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 46
Che cosa gioiosa e bella librarsi in aria e cantare, e da luminose altitudini osservare la terra! Gli uomini sono folli, non riescono a volare. Si lamentano delle loro miserie, noi voliamo in alto nel cielo. Ci vuole uccidere il cacciatore, per i frutti che abbiamo beccato; ma noi ci burliamo di lui e ci dividiamo il bottino.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2010 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich von Schlegel (1772 - 1829), "Die Vögel", appears in Abendröte, in Erster Teil, no. 3, first published 1802
This text was added to the website: 2010-01-31
Line count: 12
Word count: 58