Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nun ich der Riesen Stärksten überwand, Mich aus dem dunkelsten Land heimfand an einer weißen Märchenhand - Hallen schwer die Glocken. Und ich wanke durch die Straßen schlafbefangen.
- by Alfred Mombert (1872 - 1942), appears in Der Glühende: ein Gedichtwerk, no. 59 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Alban Maria Johannes Berg (1885 - 1935), "Nun ich der Riesen Stärksten überwand", op. 2 (Vier Gesänge) no. 3 (1910). [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- NOR Norwegian (Bokmål) (Marianne Beate Kielland) , copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Jakob Kellner) , title 1: "Now that I have overcome the strongest of the giants", copyright ©, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Maintenant que j'ai vaincu le plus grand des géants", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Adesso ho superato la più dura delle cime", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Jakob Kellner , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 28
Adesso ho superato la più dura delle cime e, dal più oscuro dei paesi, la mia patria ritrovo guidato da una bianca mano fatata - Suonano forte le campane. Ed io per le vie barcollo colmo di sonno.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2010 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Alfred Mombert (1872 - 1942), appears in Der Glühende: ein Gedichtwerk, no. 59
This text was added to the website: 2010-03-24
Line count: 6
Word count: 38