Non è di gentil core chi non arde d'amore. Ma voi, che del mio cor l'anima sete, e nel foco d'amor lieta vivete, sete di gentil core, perché ardete d'amore.
About the headline (FAQ)
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Sigismondo d'India (1582? - 1629?), "Non è di gentil core", 1615, from Il Terzo Libro de Madrigali, no. 20. [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Non è di gentil core chi non arde", published 1619 [chorus], from Libro VII de madrigali, no. 2, madrigal [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (unknown or anonymous translator) , "His heart is not refined"
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: John Versmoren
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 30
His heart is not refined who does not burn with love. But you, who are the soul of my heart, and in love's fire happily live, your heart is indeed refined, because you burn with love.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English by unknown or anonymous translator
This text was added to the website: 2010-04-09
Line count: 6
Word count: 36