Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Al comenzar la noche de aquel día Ella lejos de mí, ¿Por qué te acercas tanto? Me decía, Tengo miedo de ti. Y después que la noche hubo pasado Dijo, cerca de mí: ¿Por qué te alejas tanto de mi lado? ¡Tengo miedo sin ti!
- by Ramòn Maria de las Mercedes de Campoamor y Campoosorio (1817 - 1901) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Joaquín Turina (1882 - 1949), "Los dos miedos", op. 19 no. 4 (1917), published 1923 [ soprano and piano or orchestra ], from Poema en forma de canciones, no. 4, Madrid: UME [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Garrett Medlock) , "The two fears", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Les deux craintes", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Die beiden Ängste", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Auditorium du Louvre
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 45
At the beginning [of] the night that day, She, far away, said to me, Why are you moving so close to me? I am afraid of you. And after the night had passed She said, close to me: Why are you going away from my side? I am afraid without you!
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to English copyright © 2020 by Garrett Medlock, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Spanish (Español) by Ramòn Maria de las Mercedes de Campoamor y Campoosorio (1817 - 1901)
This text was added to the website: 2020-06-28
Line count: 8
Word count: 51