Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wenn mein Herz beginnt zu klingen Und den Tönen löst die Schwingen, Schweben vor mir her und wieder Bleiche Wonnen, unvergessen Und die Schatten von Zypressen - Dunkel klingen meine Lieder!
- by Adolf Frey (1855 - 1920), appears in Gedichte, in Von der Kunst, Leipzig, first published 1886 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Meine Lieder", op. 106 (Fünf Lieder) no. 4 (1888), published 1888 [ voice and piano ], Berlin, Simrock [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Mijn liederen", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "My songs", copyright ©
- ENG English (Joachim Reinhuber) , "My songs", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Mes chants", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "I miei canti", copyright © 2008, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 6
Word count: 31
Quand mon cœur commence à chanter Et que la vibration libère les sons, Ils volent devant moi, ici et là, Pâles délices, inoubliés, À l'ombre des cyprès - Sombre est le son de mes chants !
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2010 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Adolf Frey (1855 - 1920), appears in Gedichte, in Von der Kunst, Leipzig, first published 1886
This text was added to the website: 2010-06-25
Line count: 6
Word count: 36