Wenn dir's in Kopf und Herzen schwirrt, Was willst du Bessres haben! Wer nicht mehr liebt und nicht mehr irrt, Der lasse sich begraben.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Das Beste", appears in Epigrammatisch [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Das Beste", 1989 [medium voice or high voice and piano], from Goethe-lieder, no. 3 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Marx (1897 - 1985), "Das Beste", op. 49 no. 7 (1949) [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Gary Bachlund) , "The best", copyright © 1989, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRL Friulian (Ermes Culos) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Il meglio", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 4
Word count: 24