Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Wenn dir's in Kopf und Herzen schwirrt, Was willst du Bessres haben! Wer nicht mehr liebt und nicht mehr irrt, Der lasse sich begraben.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Das Beste", appears in Epigrammatisch [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Das Beste", 1989 [medium voice or high voice and piano], from Goethe-lieder, no. 3 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Marx (1897 - 1985), "Das Beste", op. 49 no. 7 (1949) [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Gary Bachlund) , "The best", copyright © 1989, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRL Friulian (Ermes Culos) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Il meglio", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:30
Line count: 4
Word count: 24
Se ti gira la testa o ti palpita il cuore, Non c'è più bella avventura! Chi non più sbaglia o non più è preso d'amore, è pronto per la sepoltura.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2010 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Das Beste", appears in Epigrammatisch
Text added to the website: 2010-01-10 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:03:29
Line count: 4
Word count: 30