Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wenn dir's in Kopf und Herzen schwirrt, Was willst du Bessres haben! Wer nicht mehr liebt und nicht mehr irrt, Der lasse sich begraben.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Das Beste", appears in Goethe's Werke. Vollständige Ausgabe, letzter Hand, Band III, in 5. Epigrammatisch [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gary Bachlund (b. 1947), "Das Beste", 1989 [medium voice or high voice and piano], from Goethe-lieder, no. 3 [ sung text checked 1 time]
- by Karl Marx (1897 - 1985), "Das Beste", op. 49 no. 7 (1949) [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Gary Bachlund) , "The best", copyright © 1989, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRL Friulian (Ermes Culos) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Il meglio", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 24
Sè àtu -- alc ca ti sbušighèa in tal cjaf e'n tal còu? Sè vutu vej di miej! Chèl che pì a nol ama e che pì a nol sbàlia a è coma che belzà al fòs soteràt.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Friulian copyright © 2009 by Ermes Culos, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Das Beste", appears in Goethe's Werke. Vollständige Ausgabe, letzter Hand, Band III, in 5. Epigrammatisch
This text was added to the website: 2009-12-31
Line count: 4
Word count: 37