Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Am See, tief zwischen Tann und Silberpappel, Beschirmt von Mauer und Gesträuch ein Garten, So weise angelegt mit monatlichen Blumen, Daß [er vom März bis zum Oktober blüht]1, Hier in der Früh, nicht allzu häufig, Sitz ich und wünsche mir, Auch ich mög alle Zeit in den verschiednen Wettern, Guten, schlechten, [guten, schlechten,]3 Dies oder jenes Angenehme [zeigen.]2
About the headline (FAQ)
Please note: this text, provided here for educational and research use, is in the public domain in Canada, but it may still be copyright in other legal jurisdictions. The LiederNet Archive makes no guarantee that the above text is public domain in your country. Please consult your country's copyright statutes or a qualified IP attorney to verify whether a certain text is in the public domain in your country or if downloading or distributing a copy constitutes fair use. The LiederNet Archive assumes no legal responsibility or liability for the copyright compliance of third parties.View original text (without footnotes)
1 Eisler: "sie vom März bis zum Oktober blühn"
2 Eisler: "schreiben".
3 omitted by Eisler.
- by Bertolt Brecht (1898 - 1956) [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Andre Asriel (b. 1922), "Der Blumengarten" [sung text not yet checked]
- by Hanns Eisler (1898 - 1962), "Im Blumengarten", 1955 [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "In the flower garden", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 58
By the lake, hidden between firs and silvery poplars. Protected by a wall and bushes, a garden So wisely planted with various flowers That it blooms from March to October. Here, early in the morning, but not too often, I sit And wish that I too, might at all times, In all the different weathers - good, bad - Bring forth something pleasing of one sort or another.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2010 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2010-10-11
Line count: 8
Word count: 68