Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
O Fischer auf den Fluten, Fidelin! Komm schnell zu fischen her! Refrain: Und auf seinem schmucken Kahne, auf dem Kahne rudert er. Fidelin linla. "Was willst du, dass ich fische?" Fidelin! Mein Ringlein fiel ins Meer. (Refrain) Dir lohnt die schönste Börse, Fidelin! Von hundert Talern schwer. (Refrain) "Nicht will ich deine Börse, Fidelin! Von hundert Talern schwer." (Refrain) "Ein liebevolles Küsschen, Fidelin! Ein Kuss ist mein Begehr." (Refrain)
- by Johann Heinrich Friedrich Karl Witte (1800 - 1883) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Barcarole", op. 44 (Zwölf Lieder und Romanzen für Frauenchor a capella oder mit willk. Pianofortebegleitung) no. 3 (1860), published 1867 [SSAA chorus with optional piano], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Paul Heyse (1830 - 1914) , "Barcarole" ; composed by Heinrich , Freiherr von Herzogenberg, Alexander Winterberger.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , "Barcarole", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Kelly Dean Hansen) , "Barcarole", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Barcarolle", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2005-08-29
Line count: 18
Word count: 69
O fisher on the waters - Fidelin! Come quickly here to fish! Refrain And on his tidy little boat, On the boat he rows. Fidelin linla! "What would you wish me to fish?" - Fidelin! My little ring fell in the sea. (Refrain) You shall be rewarded with the finest purse! - Fidelin! Filled with a hundred thalers. (Refrain) "I do not want your purse, Fidelin! Filled with a hundred thalers." (Refrain) "A tender kiss, Fidelin! A kiss is my desire." (Refrain)
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2010 by Kelly Dean Hansen, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Heinrich Friedrich Karl Witte (1800 - 1883)
This text was added to the website: 2010-10-22
Line count: 18
Word count: 82