Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Horch! wie brauset der Sturm und der schwellende Strom in der Nacht hin! Schaurig süßes Gefühl! lieblicher Frühling, du nahst!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Ludwig Uhland (1787 - 1862), "Märznacht" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Carl Bohm (1844 - 1920), "Märznacht", op. 322 no. 1, published 1885 [voice and piano], Berlin, Simrock [text not verified]
- by Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897), "Märznacht", op. 44 (Zwölf Lieder und Romanzen für Frauenchor a capella oder mit willk. Pianofortebegleitung) no. 12 (1859-60?), published 1867 [SSAA chorus and piano], Leipzig, Rieter-Biedermann [text not verified]
- by Franz Otto (1809 - 1842), "Die Märznacht", published 1877 [vocal quartet of male voices], from Achtzehn [Neunzehn?] Lieder und Gesänge für vier Männerstimmen, no. 11, Regensburg, Coppenrath [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Kelly Dean Hansen) , title 1: "March night", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Pierre Mathé) , title 1: "Nuit de mars", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- DUT Dutch (Nederlands) [singable] (Lau Kanen) , title 1: "Nacht in maart", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2005-01-26
Line count: 2
Word count: 20
Écoute comme mugissent la tempête et le torrent dans la nuit ! Effroyable et douce sensation ! Cher printemps, tu approches !
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2010 by Pierre Mathé, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2010-11-08
Line count: 2
Word count: 22