Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
(dans un parc) Dors au fond de l'allée, tendre enfant, sous la dalle, on fera le chant de l'été autour de ton intervalle. Si une blanche colombe passait au vol là-haut, je n'offrirais à ton tombeau que son ombre qui tombe.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Rainer Maria Rilke (1875 - 1926), "Tombeau", appears in Tendres Impôts à la France  [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Samuel Barber (1910 - 1981), "Tombeau dans un parc", op. 27 no. 3 (1950-1), published 1952 [voice and piano], from Mélodies passagères, no. 3, Schirmer [ sung text verified 1 time]
- by Bruno Gousset (b. 1958), "Tombeau dans un parc", op. 21 no. 14 (1983) [high voice and piano], from Vergers, no. 14. [ sung text not verified ]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Tomba en un parc", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Thomas A. Gregg) , "Grave in a park", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- GER German (Deutsch) (Bertram Kottmann) , "Ruhestatt in einem Park", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 9
Word count: 42
(in a park) Sleep at the end of the avenue, Tender child, under the flagstone, one will make a song of summer around your interval. If a white dove passes in flight above, I would offer upon your tomb only his shadow that falls.
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2010 by Thomas A. Gregg, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in French (Français) by Rainer Maria Rilke (1875 - 1926), "Tombeau", appears in Tendres Impôts à la France
This text was added to the website: 2010-11-15
Line count: 9
Word count: 45