Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Welch' süßer Duft umweht mich? Du Veilchen, versteckt im Strauch, Leb' wohl, ich darf nicht weilen, Nicht werben nach Liebesbrauch. Du welkst wohl ungebrochen, Ohn' Dank für lieblichen Duft. Bis Gott im neuen Frühling Zur Auferstehung dich ruft.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Matthias Jacob Schleiden (1804 - 1881), as Ernst, "Flüchtiger Gruß", appears in Gedichte, in Auf der Wanderschaft, Leipzig, Verlag von Wilhelm Engelmann, first published 1858 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Heinrich, Freiherr von Bach (1835 - 1915), as Heinrich Molbe, "Welch' süßer Duft umweht mich?", op. 14 (Zwei Lieder) no. 2 [voice and piano], Wien, Rörich [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Fleeting greeting", copyright © 2010, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2010-03-06
Line count: 8
Word count: 38
What sweet scent wafts about me? You violet, concealed in the bush, Farewell, I must not tarry, Must not woo as is the custom of lovers. You will likely wilt unpicked, Without receiving thanks for your lovely fragrance. Until God in a new springtime Calls you to resurrection.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2010 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Matthias Jacob Schleiden (1804 - 1881), as Ernst, "Flüchtiger Gruß", appears in Gedichte, in Auf der Wanderschaft, Leipzig, Verlag von Wilhelm Engelmann, first published 1858
This text was added to the website: 2010-11-22
Line count: 8
Word count: 48