The dove descending breaks the air [ ... ]
About the headline (FAQ)This text may be copyright, so we will not display it until we obtain permission to do so or discover it is public-domain.
Note: first published in New English Weekly, October 1942.
- by T. S. (Thomas Stearns) Eliot (1888 - 1965), no title, appears in Four Quartets, in 4. Little Gidding, no. 4, first published 1942, copyright © [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Jonathan Harvey (1939 - 2012), "The dove descending", published 1975 [ SATB chorus and organ ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Arthur Vincent Lourié (1891 - 1966), "The dove", published 1949 [ voice and piano ], from Third Hour [sung text not yet checked]
- by Ruth Schonthal (1924 - 2006), "The dove descending", 1977, first performed 1978 [ voice and piano ], from Seven Songs of Love and Sorrow, no. 4, Furore Verlag [sung text not yet checked]
- by Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971), "Anthem", published 1962 [ SATB chorus a cappella ] [sung text not yet checked]
This text was added to the website: 2010-12-31
Line count: 14
Word count: 81