Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Wenn der [schwer Gedrückte]1 klagt, Hilfe, Hoffnung sei versagt, Bleibet heilsam fort und fort Immer noch ein freundlich Wort.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with West-ostlicher Divan von Goethe, Mit Einleitung und erläuternden Anmerkungen von G. von Loeper, Berlin: Gustav Hempel, 1872, page 97.1 Schoenberg: "Schwergedrückte"
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 6. Buch der Sprüche -- Hikmet Nameh, no. 9 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive):
- by Arnold Franz Walter Schoenberg (1874 - 1951), "Wenn der Schwergedrückte klagt", 1905 [ vocal quartet in canon ] [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Quando lamenta, chi è duramente oppresso", copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Alberto Pedrotti , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 4
Word count: 19
Quand se plaint celui qui est durement opprimé, Que le secours et l'espoir lui sont refusés, Il reste sans cesse le baume D'un mot amical, encore.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to French (Français) copyright © 2011 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), no title, appears in West-östlicher Divan, in 6. Buch der Sprüche -- Hikmet Nameh, no. 9
This text was added to the website: 2011-01-11
Line count: 4
Word count: 26