Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Tutti nemici e rei, tutti tremar dovete. Perfidi, lo sapete e m’insultate ancor! Che barbaro governo fanno dell’alma mia sdegno, rimorso interno, amore e gelosia! Non ha più furie Averno per lacerarmi il cor.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in Adriano in Siria [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Antonio Caldara (1670 - 1736), "Tutti nemici e rei", 1732, first performed 1732, from opera Adriano in Siria [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Francesco Maria Veracini (1690 - 1768), "Tutti nemici e rei" [ 2 horns, strings, soprano voice, and continuo ], from opera Adriano in Siria [sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Andrew Schneider) , "You must tremble", copyright © 2020, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Andrew Schneider [Guest Editor]
Text added to the website: 2018-06-14 00:00:00
Last modified: 2018-06-14 13:34:44
Line count: 10
Word count: 34
You must tremble, all ye wicked enemies! Traitors, you persist in insulting me even as you know your crimes. Love, jealousy, scorn, internal remorse, these all govern my soul in a barbarous manner. Avernus has no more furies to wound my heart.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to English copyright © 2020 by Andrew Schneider, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Pietro Antonio Domenico Bonaventura Trapassi (1698 - 1782), as Pietro Metastasio, no title, appears in Adriano in Siria
Text added to the website: 2020-01-02 00:00:00
Last modified: 2020-01-02 12:19:28
Line count: 10
Word count: 42