Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Gretchen Wolkenzug und Nebelflor Erhellen sich von oben. Luft im Laub und Wind im Rohr, Und alles ist zerstoben.
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), appears in Faust, in Der Tragödie erster Teil (Part I) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Julius Röntgen (1855 - 1932), "Walpurgisnacht", 1931 [solo voices, chorus, orchestra, and organ], from Aus Goethes Faust, no. 11. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , "Notte di Valpurga", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Ferdinando Albeggiani
This text was added to the website: 2011-03-01
Line count: 5
Word count: 19
Margherita Nuvole in viaggio, veli di nebbie si rischiarano là in alto. Brezza fra foglie, vento nel canneto, tutto, alla fine, è svanito.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2011 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), appears in Faust, in Der Tragödie erster Teil (Part I)
This text was added to the website: 2011-03-06
Line count: 5
Word count: 23