Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Magst du zu dem Alten halten Oder Altes neu gestalten, Mein's nur treu und laß Gott walten!
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Spruch", appears in Gedichte, in 3. Zeitlieder [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Ernst Pepping (1901 - 1981), "Magst du zu dem Alten halten", published 1930 [mixed chorus], from Sprüche und Lieder nach Gedichten von Goethe, Rilke und Eichendorff für drei- bis fünfstimmigen gemischten Chor [text not verified]
- by Othmar Schoeck (1886 - 1957), "Spruch", op. 49 no. 7 (1933) [baritone, men's chorus, chamber orchestra], from Kantate. Nach Gedichten von Eichendorff, no. 7. [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Maxim", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Harry Joelson
This text was added to the website: 2007-08-07
Line count: 3
Word count: 17
Whether you stick to the old ways Or shape the old ways into something new, Just mean well and let God work!
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Spruch", appears in Gedichte, in 3. Zeitlieder
This text was added to the website: 2011-05-19
Line count: 3
Word count: 22