Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Bau nur auf Weltgunst recht Und paß auf jeden Wink und Gruß, Wirst dabei nimmer fröhlich werden! Es hat's kein Hund so schlecht, Der hinter seinen Herren muß, Nicht frei spazieren kann auf Erden.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Spruch", appears in Gedichte, in 2. Sängerleben [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Wolfgang Fortner (1907 - 1987), "Bau nur auf Weltgunst recht
" [mixed chorus], from Sprüche von Joseph von Eichendorff, no. 5. [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Maxim", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Linda Godry
Text added to the website: 2008-06-04 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:43
Line count: 6
Word count: 34
Only strive diligently for the favour of the world And watch for every signal and greeting, You shall never become happy thereby! No dog has such a sorry lot, Who has to follow his master, And cannot walk freely upon the earth.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Josef Karl Benedikt von Eichendorff (1788 - 1857), "Spruch", appears in Gedichte, in 2. Sängerleben
Text added to the website: 2011-05-19 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:23
Line count: 6
Word count: 42