Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Du verklagest das Weib, sie schwanke von einem zum andern! Tadle sie nicht: Sie sucht einen beständigen Mann.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Entschuldigung", appears in Antiker Form sich nähernd, no. 18 [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Johann Friedrich Reichardt (1752 - 1814), "Kanon", published 1811. [vocal trio for descant, tenor, and bass] [text not verified]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Canon", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
Text added to the website: 2007-11-21 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:02:30
Line count: 2
Word count: 18
You accuse the woman of flitting from one to another! Do not chide her: she seeks a steadfast man.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2011 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832), "Entschuldigung", appears in Antiker Form sich nähernd, no. 18
Text added to the website: 2011-06-01 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:04:24
Line count: 2
Word count: 19