And if the Cup you drink, the Lip you press, End in what All begins and ends in -- Yes; Imagine then you are what heretofore You were -- hereafter you shall not be less.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Edward Fitzgerald (1809 - 1883), no title, appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, Second Edition, no. 45, first published 1868 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
- a text in Persian (Farsi) by Hakim Omar Khayyám (c1048 - c1122) [text unavailable]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Edward Fitzgerald (1809 - 1883) , no title, appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, Third Edition, no. 42, appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, Fourth Edition, no. 42, first published 1872 GER ; composed by Granville Ransome Bantock, Sir.
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Friedrich (or Fritz) Rosen (1856 - 1935) ENG ENG ENG ; composed by Boris Blacher.
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2011-06-21
Line count: 4
Word count: 33