Another said -- "Why, ne'er a peevish Boy, "Would break the Bowl from which he drank in Joy; "Shall He that made the Vessel in pure Love "And Fansy, in an after Rage destroy?
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Edward Fitzgerald (1809 - 1883), no title, appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, First Edition, no. 62, first published 1859 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
- a text in Persian (Farsi) by Hakim Omar Khayyám (c1048 - c1122) [text unavailable]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- [ None yet in the database ]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Edward Fitzgerald (1809 - 1883) , no title, appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, Third Edition, no. 85, appears in The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, Fourth Edition, no. 85, first published 1872 FRE ; composed by Granville Ransome Bantock, Sir.
- Also set in French (Français), a translation by Jean-Baptiste Nicolas (1814 - 1875) , no title, appears in Les Quatrains de Khèyam, no. 38, first published 1867 ENG ENG ENG ; composed by Germain Desbonnet.
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2011-06-22
Line count: 4
Word count: 33