Hey, the dusty Miller, And his dusty coat, He will win a shilling, Or he spend a groat: Dusty was the coat, Dusty was the colour, Dusty was the kiss That I gat frae the Miller. Hey, the dusty Miller, And his dusty sack; Leeze me on the calling Fills the dusty peck: Fills the dusty peck, Brings the dusty siller; I wad gie my coatie For the dusty Miller.
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Robert Burns (1759 - 1796), "The dusty miller" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Humphrey Procter-Gregg (1895 - 1980), "The dusty miller" [ voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Francis George Scott (1880 - 1958), "Hey, the dusty miller", published 1922 [ female voice and piano ], from Scottish Lyrics, Book 1, no. 8, Bayley & Ferguson [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CZE Czech (Čeština) (Josef Václav Sládek) , "Umoučený mlynář"
- FIN Finnish (Suomi) (Valter Juva) , "Myllärin Miska"
Researcher for this text: Mike Pearson
This text was added to the website: 2016-06-13
Line count: 16
Word count: 70