Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Als wir schieden, da war's am Himmel stürmisch und trübe, Lag die Erde [so]1 kalt, schwiegen die Vögel im Tal. Jahre schwanden indes, noch stürmt mir immer der Himmel, Liegt die Erde mir kalt, singt mir kein Vogel im Tal.
About the headline (FAQ)View original text (without footnotes)
Confirmed with Justinus Kerner Werke, Zweiter Teil, Gedichte, ed. Raimund Pissin, Berlin, Leipzig, Wien, Stuttgart: Deutsches Verlagshaus Bong & Co., 1914, page 1921 Lang: "mir"
- by Justinus (Andreas Christian) Kerner (1786 - 1862), "An L. U[hland]", appears in Gedichte, in Die lyrischen Gedichte [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Josephine Lang (1815 - 1880), "Abschied", op. 11 (Sechs deutsche Lieder) no. 4 (1834), published 1845 [voice and piano], Leipzig, Kistner [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , title 1: "Farewell", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Ferdinando Albeggiani) , title 1: "Congedo", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Adieu", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Joanna Lonergan , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website: 2005-03-23
Line count: 4
Word count: 40
Quando ci dicemmo addio il cielo era tempestoso e cupo. Fredda la terra; senza canto d'uccelli la valle. Sono passati gli anni, ma per me tutto è rimasto eguale: cupo il cielo, fredda la terra, muta la valle.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to Italian (Italiano) copyright © 2012 by Ferdinando Albeggiani, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Justinus (Andreas Christian) Kerner (1786 - 1862), "An L. U[hland]", appears in Gedichte, in Die lyrischen Gedichte
This text was added to the website: 2012-01-16
Line count: 4
Word count: 38