Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Nun will die Sonn' so hell aufgehn, Als sei kein Unglück die Nacht geschehn! Das Unglück geschah nur mir allein! Die Sonne, sie scheinet allgemein! Du mußt nicht die Nacht in dir verschränken, Mußt sie ins ew'ge Licht versenken! Ein Lämplein verlosch in meinem Zelt! Heil sei dem Freudenlicht der Welt!
- by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), appears in Kindertodtenlieder, in Trost und Erhebung [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Gustav Mahler (1860 - 1911), "Nun will die Sonn' so hell aufgehn", 1902, from Kindertotenlieder, no. 1. [ sung text checked 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Ara sortirà el sol ben lluminós", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "Now the sun will rise as brightly", copyright ©
- ENG English [singable] (David Paley) , "Now would the sun so brightly shine", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , copyright © 2009, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ITA Italian (Italiano) (Amelia Maria Imbarrato) , "Ora sorgerà il sole così luminoso", copyright © 2006, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- POR Portuguese (Português) (Paulo Albuquerque de Noronha) , "Agora o sol quer nascer tão brilhante", copyright © 2019, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- SPA Spanish (Español) (Elena María Accinelli) , "Ahora el sol saldrá tan brillante", copyright © 2005, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 8
Word count: 51
Now would the sun so brightly shine As if misfortune had not occurred. That mishap has struck just me alone But sunlight still shines upon us all. Do not let the night be locked within you It must be sunk in light eternal; The lamplight has gone from my domain; Praised be the bright and joyful world.
- Singable translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2012 by David Paley, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., please ask the copyright-holder(s) directly.
David Paley.  Contact: davidpaley (AT) btinternet (DOT) com
If the copyright-holder(s) are unreachable for three business days, please write to:
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Friedrich Rückert (1788 - 1866), appears in Kindertodtenlieder, in Trost und Erhebung
This text was added to the website: 2012-08-15
Line count: 8
Word count: 57