Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Mamá, yo quiero ser de plata. Hijo, tendrás mucho frío. Mamá. Yo quiero ser de agua. Hijo, tendrás mucho frío. Mamá. Bórdarme en tu almohada. ¡Eso sí! ¡Ahora mismo!
- by Federico García Lorca (1898 - 1936), "Canción tonta", appears in Canciones, in Canciones para niños, first published 1921-4 [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Luis Manuel Alvarez (b. 1939), "Canción tonta", 1962 [ medium voice and piano ] [sung text not yet checked]
- by Bruce Christian Bennett (b. 1968), "Canción tonta", 1988 [ soprano, clarinet, guitar, harpsichord, five-string viola (or violin or viola), violoncello ], from Five Spanish Songs, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Xavier Montsalvatge (1912 - 2002), "Canción tonta", 1953, published 1953 [ voice and piano ], from Canciones para niños, no. 4 [sung text not yet checked]
- by Silvestre Revueltas (1899 - 1940), "Canción tonta", R 69 no. 3, ISR 2 no. 3 (1939), orchestrated 1969 [ medium voice and piano or instrumental ensemble ], from Cinco canciones para niños y dos canciones profanas, no. 3 [sung text checked 1 time]
- by Alicia Terzián (b. 1934), "Canción tonta", 1956 [ medium voice and piano ], from Canciones para niños, no. 2 [sung text not yet checked]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Jennifer Capaldo) , "Silly song", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Chanson bête", copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 12
Word count: 29
Mamma, I want to be made of silver. Son, you'll be very cold. Mamma, I want to be made of water. Son, you'll be very cold. Mamma. Embroider1 me in your pillow. Of course! Right away!
1 To embroider his name â a special form of attention.
- Translation from Spanish (Español) to English copyright © 2012 by Jennifer Capaldo, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you must ask the copyright-holder(s) directly for permission. If you receive no response, you must consider it a refusal.
Jennifer Capaldo.  Contact: capaldojr (AT) longwood (DOT) eduIf you wish to commission a new translation, please contact:
- a text in Spanish (Español) by Federico García Lorca (1898 - 1936), "Canción tonta", appears in Canciones, in Canciones para niños, first published 1921-4
This text was added to the website: 2012-08-27
Line count: 12
Word count: 36