Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
1 [Laus cantici David.] Qui habitat in adjutorio Altissimi, in protectione Dei cæli commorabitur. 2 Dicet Domino: Susceptor meus es tu, et refugium meum; Deus meus, sperabo in eum. 3 Quoniam ipse liberavit me de laqueo venantium, et a verbo aspero. 4 Scapulis suis obumbrabit tibi, et sub pennis ejus sperabis. 5 Scuto circumdabit te veritas ejus: non timebis a timore nocturno; 6 a sagitta volante in die, a negotio perambulante in tenebris, ab incursu, et dæmonio meridiano. 7 Cadent a latere tuo mille, et decem millia a dextris tuis; ad te autem non appropinquabit. 8 Verumtamen oculis tuis considerabis, et retributionem peccatorum videbis. 9 Quoniam tu es, Domine, spes mea; Altissimum posuisti refugium tuum. 10 Non accedet ad te malum, et flagellum non appropinquabit tabernaculo tuo. 11 Quoniam angelis suis mandavit de te, ut custodiant te in omnibus viis tuis. 12 In manibus portabunt te, ne forte offendas ad lapidem pedem tuum. 13 Super aspidem et basiliscum ambulabis, et conculcabis leonem et draconem. 14 Quoniam in me speravit, liberabo eum; protegam eum, quoniam cognovit nomen meum. 15 Clamabit ad me, et ego exaudiam eum; cum ipso sum in tribulatione: eripiam eum, et glorificabo eum. 16 Longitudine dierum replebo eum, et ostendam illi salutare meum.
Josquin des Prez sets lines 1-8
About the headline (FAQ)
- by Bible or other Sacred Texts , "Psalmus 90 (91)" [author's text checked 1 time against a primary source]
- by Josquin des Prez (c1440 - 1521), "Qui habitat in adjutorio Altissimi", lines 1-8 [chorus] [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in English, a translation by Bible or other Sacred Texts , line 11 [an adaptation] ; composed by Augusta Read Thomas.
- Also set in English, a translation by Bible or other Sacred Texts , "Psalm 91", King James FRE ; composed by Rebecca Clarke.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (David Wyatt) , copyright © 2012, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2010-07-19
Line count: 36
Word count: 205
[A psalm of David] He who lives in the help of the Most High, will remain under the protection of the God of heaven. He shall say to the Lord: you are my sustainer and my refuge; my God, I shall hope in him. Since he freed me from the snare of the hunters, and from their bitter words. He will shade you with his shoulders, And under his feathers you will hope. His truth will surround you with a shield; you will not be afraid of night-time fears, Of arrows flying in the day-time, of difficulties which cluster around you in darkness, of attacks and midday's demon. A thousand will fall at your side, and ten thousand by your right hand; it will not come near you indeed. Truly, you will look with your eyes and you will see the punishment of sinners. For you are my hope, o Lord; you have made your refuge very high. No evil will happen to you; and the scourge will not come near your tent. For he has instructed his angels about you, that they should guard you in all your journeys. They will carry you in their hands, in case by chance you should hurt your foot on a stone. You will walk over snakes and basilisks, and you will tread under your heel lions and dragons. Since he has trusted in me, I shall free him; I shall protect him, since he has known my name. He will shout out to me, and I will hear him; I am with him in his troubles: I will take him out of them, and I will glorify him. I will fill him with length of days; and I will show to him my salvation.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from Latin to English copyright © 2012 by David Wyatt, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2012-10-25
Line count: 36
Word count: 292