Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Tauche deine weissen Flügel, Möve, in den See hinab. Spähe, mit den scharfen Augen In das dunkle Wellengrab. Was dort in der Tiefe schlummert, Wecke nicht, hab' gute Wacht! Meine tote Liebe ist es, Die ich da zur Ruh' gebracht.
- by Anna Antonia Amadei, Gräfin, née Rosty von Barkocz (1828 - 1927) [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Albert Felix, Graf Amadei (1851 - 1894), "Am See", op. 16 ([Sechs] Lieder und Gesänge für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 3, published 1891 [voice and piano], Berlin, Ries & Erler [ sung text not verified ]
- by Mathilde, Baroness Willy de Rothschild (1832 - 1924), "Am See" [voice and piano] [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Emily Ezust) , "By the lake", copyright © 2012
Researcher for this text: Emily Ezust [Administrator]
This text was added to the website: 2012-11-15
Line count: 8
Word count: 40
Plunge your white wings in the lake, sea-gull. Peer with your sharp eyes into the dark tomb of waves. What slumbers there in the depths, do not awaken - take care! It is my dead love, which I have there laid to rest.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2012 by Emily Ezust
Emily Ezust permits her translations to be reproduced without prior permission for printed (not online) programs to free-admission concerts only, provided the following credit is given:
Translation copyright © by Emily Ezust,
from the LiederNet Archive -- https://www.lieder.net/
For any other purpose, please write to the e-mail address below to request permission and discuss possible fees.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Anna Antonia Amadei, Gräfin, née Rosty von Barkocz (1828 - 1927)
This text was added to the website: 2012-11-16
Line count: 8
Word count: 43