Some of the following material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. Printing copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator is also illegal.
You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
For more information, contact us at:
Before writing, please read the instructions below the translations (under Authorship). Always include the names of the translators in your email if you wish to reprint something!
Cor mio, mentre vi miro, visibilmente mi trasformo in voi, e trasformato poi, in un solo sospir l'anima spiro. O bellezza mortale, O bellezza vitale, poiché sí tosto un core per te rinasce, e per te nato more.
- by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612), appears in Rime, without number [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Claudio Monteverdi (1567 - 1643), "Cor mio, mentre vi miro", published 1603 [ vocal quintet], from Libro IV de madrigali, no. 2, madrigal [text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations, and transliterations (if applicable):
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , title 1: "Mon cœur, quand je vous vois", copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Alberto Pedrotti
Text added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:01:31
Line count: 8
Word count: 38
Mon cœur, quand je vous vois, visiblement je me transforme en vous, et ensuite transformé, en un seul soupir j'expire mon âme. Ô beauté mortelle, ô beauté vitale, puisque aussitôt qu'un cœur pour toi renaît, que né pour toi il meurt.
- Translation from Italian (Italiano) to French (Français) copyright © 2013 by Guy Laffaille, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in Italian (Italiano) by Giovanni Battista Guarini (1538 - 1612), appears in Rime, without number
Text added to the website: 2013-02-28 00:00:00
Last modified: 2014-06-16 10:05:08
Line count: 8
Word count: 41