Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Je suis tant que dure le jour Et grave et badin tour à tour. Quand je vois un flacon sans vin, Je suis grave, je suis grave, Est-il tout plein, je suis badin. Je suis tant que dure le jour Et grave et badin tour à tour. Quand ma femme [dort]1 au lit, Je suis sage toute la nuit. Si catin au lit me tient Alors je suis badin Ah! belle hôtesse, versez-moi du vin Je suis badin, badin, badin.
1 or "me tient"
- by Anonymous / Unidentified Author ( 17th cent. )  [author's text not yet checked against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Francis Poulenc (1899 - 1963), "Couplets bachiques", FP. 42, from Chansons gaillardes, no. 5 [ sung text checked 1 time]
Settings in other languages, adaptations, or excerpts:
- Also set in German (Deutsch), a translation by Bertram Kottmann , "Bacchantische Couplets", copyright © 2015, (re)printed on this website with kind permission ENG ; composed by Gary Bachlund.
Other available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- ENG English (Simon Chalifoux) , copyright © 2013, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Researcher for this text: Matthias Fletzberger
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 13
Word count: 80
Throughout the day, I am Serious and playful. When I see an empty bottle I am serious, O I am serious; Is it full, I am playful. Throughout the day, Serious and playful. When my wife takes me to bed, I behave all night long If a prostitute comes into my bed, Then I am playful. Ah! Beautiful hostess, pour me some wine, I am playful, playful, playful.
About the headline (FAQ)
- Translation from French (Français) to English copyright © 2013 by Simon Chalifoux, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
This text was added to the website: 2013-09-26
Line count: 13
Word count: 68