Attention! Some of this material is not in the public domain.
It is illegal to copy and distribute our copyright-protected material without permission. It is also illegal to reprint copyright texts or translations without the name of the author or translator.
To inquire about permissions and rates, contact Emily Ezust at
If you wish to reprint translations, please make sure you include the names of the translators in your email. They are below each translation.
Note: You must use the copyright symbol © when you reprint copyright-protected material.
Du hattest einen Glanz auf deiner Stirn, und eine hohe Abendklarheit war, und sahst nur immer weg von mir, ins Licht, ins Licht - und fern verscholl das Echo meines Aufschreis.
Confirmed with Richard Dehmel, Gesammelte Werke in drei Bänden, Zweiter Band, Berlin: S. Fischer Verlag, 1913, page 43
- by Richard Fedor Leopold Dehmel (1863 - 1920), "Ideale Landschaft", appears in Weib und Welt [author's text checked 2 times against a primary source]
Musical settings (art songs, Lieder, mélodies, (etc.), choral pieces, and other vocal works set to this text), listed by composer (not necessarily exhaustive)
- by Conrad (Eduard Reinhold) Ansorge (1862 - 1930), "Ideale Landschaft", op. 15 (Fünf Lieder für 1 Singstimme mit Pianofortebegleitung) no. 3, published 1900 [voice and piano], Berlin, Deneke [ sung text not verified ]
- by Anton von Webern (1883 - 1945), "Ideale Landschaft", 1906, from Fünf Lieder, no. 1. [ sung text verified 1 time]
Available translations, adaptations or excerpts, and transliterations (if applicable):
- CAT Catalan (Català) (Salvador Pila) , "Paisatge ideal", copyright © 2014, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- ENG English (Sharon Krebs) , "Ideal landscape", copyright © 2017, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
- FRE French (Français) (Guy Laffaille) , "Paysage idéal", copyright © 2011, (re)printed on this website with kind permission
Research team for this text: Jeroen Scholten , Sharon Krebs [Guest Editor]
This text was added to the website between May 1995 and September 2003.
Line count: 5
Word count: 31
You had a radiance upon your brow, and there was a lofty evening clarity, and you only ever looked away from me, into the light, into the light - and far in the distance, the echo of my outcry died away.
- Translation from German (Deutsch) to English copyright © 2017 by Sharon Krebs, (re)printed on this website with kind permission. To reprint and distribute this author's work for concert programs, CD booklets, etc., you may ask the copyright-holder(s) directly or ask us; we are authorized to grant permission on their behalf. Please provide the translator's name when contacting us.
- a text in German (Deutsch) by Richard Fedor Leopold Dehmel (1863 - 1920), "Ideale Landschaft", appears in Weib und Welt
This text was added to the website: 2013-09-26
Line count: 5
Word count: 41